July 18 and September 5, most U.S. senators and representatives will be
on recess in their home districts to meet with constituents. This is a
great opportunity for you as a Voices' member to visit your elected officials' local offices and
advise them of your and MOAA's concerns on important matters.
we need your help to influence the FY17 Defense Authorization Bill. The
goal is to ask legislators to make sure that bill:
- Retains the pay raise and force level improvements in the House-passed bill version.
- Drops Senate-proposed housing allowance cuts ($10,000-$20,000 or more annually in some cases)
- Prevents disproportional TRICARE fee increases for retired members and families
- Makes real progress toward eliminating the military “widows tax”
It's imperative to let our legislators know how we feel about these important topics.
These aren't just “defending our rice bowl” issues; they're critical
matters for sustaining retention and readiness - the core of our
national defense - over the long term.
To assist you in preparing for these meetings, we've developed fact sheets and talking points on the key issues listed above.
don't have to be an expert on every issue. That's why we designed the
packages as we have - to include a “key points” summary to talk from,
along with one-page fact sheets on each issue that you can print and
leave with the legislators and/or their staffs.
If you have more than one person in the visiting group, it helps to divide up the talking points.
of the reasons MOAA has been successful on Capitol Hill is that we have
members who are willing to contact their legislators and express their
views on issues that are important to them. Leaders who can say “We
represent _____ MOAA members in our state” help convey that they're
speaking for a substantial group of constituents.
The grassroots support of our members has never been as important as it is now.
You can use MOAA's website to find your legislators' local offices.
Use this short “elevator speech” to summarize key talking points
Use this statistical summary (PDF) to highlight the number of people affected in your state
One-Page Fact Sheets for Four Key Issues:
1. Troops Deserve Full Pay Raise and Force Increases
2. Reject Military Housing Allowance Cuts
3. Oppose Disproportional TRICARE Fee Hikes
4. Reduce Military “Widows Tax,” Don't Just Maintain It